Academia is an excellent place to foster a career, and in order to get your foot in the door, you’ll want a masters in education (M. Ed). Earning a higher level degree in education brings several advantages and opportunities you wouldn’t normally experience if you stuck with a high school diploma or a bachelor’s degree. Whether you choose graduate school immediately after college, or utilize nights, weekends and summers to advance your current career, there are lots of reasons to get a masters in education.
Five Reasons to Earn a Master’s Degree
1. Job stability. Education has become an increasingly important aspect of society, resulting in federal programs to regulate domestic programs and international efforts for countries that do not have an advanced education system in place. Knowledgeable people who have a talent for teaching are needed to educate and shape young minds everywhere, and those with a master’s degree are able to teach a broader range of grade levels at varying institutions.
2. Higher salary. People who earn a master’s degree are generally paid more than those who ended their education with a bachelor’s degree or high school diploma. With more job opportunities available to those with higher forms of education, salaries can be used competitively to bring in qualified job applicants.
3. Career advancement opportunities. A person with a master’s degree is expected to be able to work in a variety of grade levels. If you’ve stopped your education with a bachelor’s degree, then earning your master’s is the easiest way to advance your career. Others may want to step into administration after working in the classroom, and a master’s degree will get you there faster.
4. Flexible schedule. The world of academia works around the schedule of kids, so you’ll have your weekends and summers free. That is, if you want to. A master’s degree can open up your schedule for additional opportunities like furthering your education or teaching summer and weekend courses.
5. Appear motivated. Few things are as impressive to an employer as a motivated job candidate. To show your motivation for an excellent career, earn a master’s degree and employers will take notice. It can be difficult in today’s economy, but with flexible schedules, online courses and web-based seminars, getting that masters in education is a no-brainer.